Always strive to help people everywhere achieve better health and enhance their quality-of-life
Sunstar’s management philosophy imbued with a sincere desire to help improve people’s health
— Sunstar’s corporate motto was established in 1963 —
Hiroo Kaneda, former CEO of Sunstar Inc., was born and raised in the factory run by his father, Kunio Kaneda, who founded Sunstar.
As that small factory expanded to become Sunstar, Hiroo Kaneda’s personal and professional growth followed the same trajectory. The reality of managing the manufacturing plant, the employees working there, and his father’s leadership formed Hiroo Kaneda’s management philosophy. Immediately after the founder’s death in 1962, Hiroo Kaneda, who had assumed the post of senior managing director after serving as head of the Corporate Planning Office, worked with the members of the Corporate Planning Office to create the corporate motto. His wish was to pass on the founder’s thoughts and passion.
Hiroo Kaneda decided that Sunstar’s mission was to “always strive to help people everywhere achieve better health and enhance their quality of life.” Furthermore, he believed that if not all Sunstar employees were healthy, Sunstar would not be able to continuously provide products consumers truly need, hence he established the corporate motto.
With regard to business activities, Hiroo Kaneda, who held “health” as the key topic, believed that “as long as Sunstar is committed to contributing to the healthcare industry, we should expand our business operations beyond preventive oral care products such as toothpaste, and launch into the medical treatment field. As to the products, we need to conduct fundamental research based on science to prove how our products can improve the health of consumers.” Accordingly, Sunstar began research on basic medicine, clinical medicine, and material science to collect data. Sunstar also promoted research exchanges with research institutions and universities in Japan and internationally.
Society has changed dramatically during the half century since the corporate motto was established, and in today’s society, where more and more people wish to stay healthy and enjoy comfortable lives, our corporate motto becomes even more relevant.
Fundamental Management Principles
- Be passionately consumer‐focused
- Ceaselessly pursue the most advanced technologies, highest product quality and most competitive cost
- Build a sound, resilient business structure
- Drive future growth by applying a global business perspective
- Nurture human resources to their fullest potential
- Work to achieve business goals united as one global team
Guiding Principles for Employees
- Boldly approach your work with a strong sense of mission
- Perform your work with a positive attitude, acting respectfully and professionally at all times
- Strive to study continuously to strengthen your abilities and broaden your knowledge
- Act with a challenging spirit and cultivate your creative power
- Work together in the spirit of harmony and cooperation
- Trust others and earn their trust
- Endeavor to improve your health and overall wellness
- Value the support you receive from others and reciprocate with gratitude