- A new SDG Goal has been added to our scope – SDG Goal 13 – “Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts”
- Started Scope 3 calculation of GHG emissions to accelerate CO2 reduction
We have just disclosed the progress of Sunstar’s ESG (Environmental, Social, and Corporate Governance) activities for 2023, including the recent addition of SDG Goal 13 “Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts” to our scope.
The 2023 data is published in full in the Sustainability section, and reports new initiatives in each ESG area to contribute to the achievement of the Sunstar Group’s long-term vision and the SDGs toward 2032, the centennial of the company’s founding.
Initially, our scope focused on three key SDGs goals:
Goal 3 “Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages,”
Goal 11 “Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable,”
Goal 12 “Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns”.
This year, we have decided to add a new goal, Goal 13: “Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.”
Sunstar’s efforts have been targeted at reducing petroleum-based plastics in products and packaging materials, as well as decreasing CO₂ emissions by introducing renewable electricity in factories and offices worldwide to achieve carbon neutrality (virtually zero CO₂ emissions). In addition to Scope 1 and Scope 2 (GHG emissions from our own facilities), this year we are now including Scope 3 (emissions from raw material procurement, transportation, and product use and disposal), and have begun detailed calculations to accelerate our CO₂ reduction efforts, aligning with global trends and requirements.
Progress of ESG Activities at Sunstar during 2022
E (Environmental Report): Report on the initiatives we carried out to reduce our environmental impact:
- Reducing the use of petroleum-based plastics in product packaging and storefront promotional displays, and increasing biomass plastics use made from plant-based materials.
- Switching to LED lighting in factories and offices
- Reducing CO₂ emissions by promoting the electrification of vehicles and factory equipment
- Increasing the use of forest-certified paper,
- Activities to conserve biodiversity around Sunstar’s facilities, and recycling of used plastics.
S (Social Report): Introduces the initiatives taken at a global level to enhance human rights:
- Establishment of a global human resources policy to enhance the success of employees and to increase employee engagement.
- More activities supporting employee growth and improving their health
- Initiatives to raise awareness of the importance of maintaining oral health for overall health.
G (Governance = Management platform): Review of the initiatives implemented to strengthen risk management across the four global regions.
We will continue to work together with stakeholders across Sunstar to develop businesses that contribute to improving the health of people and the planet. By building trust and promoting transparent communications and information disclosure, we aim to become an indispensable presence in society, much like the sun (SUN) and the stars (STAR) are for the Earth.