- The Sunstar Group acknowledges sustainability ideas and action are vital for business value and will continue to contribute to the formation of a society that develops sustainably.
- The Sunstar Group will unite to reduce its environmental footprint primarily through sustainable packaging, product development and resource selection, and energy usage plans with an aim to become carbon neutral.
- The Sunstar Group will leverage its global network to learn about pioneering environmental technologies related to materials and processing and actively apply them within supply and value chains.
8 Action Guidelines
- We recognize the importance of global environmental issues and conduct business activities in harmony with the natural environment.
- We will increase the efficiency of natural resource and energy use throughout the value chain of corporate activity.
- We will promote waste reduction, higher recycling ratios and use of renewable resources.
- We will develop products, packages and manufacturing processes that are friendly to the environment throughout the product lifecycle.
- We will supply safe and highly reliable products to markets around the world in compliance with environment-related laws, agreements and conventions.
- We will endeavor to make environmental policy and activities understood by all employees and strive for elevated awareness of the environment and knowledge of environmental issues.
- We will disclose initiatives and achievements in reducing our environmental footprint to markets to improve the level of our environmental controls.
- We will form supply chains enabling biodiversity conservation and implement independent support for local communities to prevent our business activities from having a negative impact on ecosystems.
Environmental Management Structure
Sunstar Group Environmental Committee
The Sunstar Group Environmental Committee promotes global environmental management for both Consumer Business and Industrial Business groups. Through environmental management at sites worldwide, we work to maintain and improve environmental control systems.
Environmental Management System ISO 14001
Major production sites of the Sunstar Group have received ISO 14001 certification.
Sunstar Interbros GmbH
Sunstar Engineering Europe GmbH
Sunstar Americas Inc.(accreditation in process)
Sunstar Engineering Americas Inc.
Sunstar Singapore Pte. Ltd. Tuas Plant
Sunstar Chemical (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
Sunstar Engineering (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
PT. Sunstar Engineering Indonesia
Sunstar Guangzhou Ltd.（Chemical）
Sunstar Guangzhou Ltd.（Oral Care）
Sunstar Inc.Takatsuki Plant
Sunstar Inc.Tokushima Plant
Sunstar Engineering Inc. Yamanashi Plant
Sunstar Engineering Inc. Shiga Plant
Mid- to Long-Term Environmental Targets
Over the years, the Sunstar Group has put in place a series of environmental targets for each region as a way of ensuring that environmental initiatives will bear fruit. In light of recent international efforts to tackle global environmental issues, the Sunstar Group established a set of Mid-to Long-Term Environmental Targets for global operations at the end of 2020. The entire Group, encompassing both consumer and industrial businesses, is now working together worldwide toward attainment of these targets.
In product and package development, we will promote development of eco-friendly products, including with our own standards for environmental friendliness, and we will endeavor to reduce consumption of petroleum-based raw materials and give consideration to biodiversity conservation in the procurement of materials. Particular effort will go into reducing the environmental impact of packaging materials and containers, which use large amounts of plastic. Within business operations, we will seek to reduce CO2 emissions by adopting renewable energy and streamlining activities, while also undertaking proper management and reduction of water usage.
Plastics for containers and packaging:
Increase ratio of plant-based/recycled plastics used
Post-consumer packages and containers:
Increase ratio of recyclable or reusable material used
Paper for containers and packaging:
Increase ratio of FSC-certified or equivalent certified paper used
Palm oil for products
Increase ratio of RSPO-certified or equivalent sustainable palm oil
Electricity used in own plants and offices:
Increase ratio of renewable (CO2-free) electricity
Water used in own plants:
Reduction of water consumption per production volume (per kg)
CO2 emissions from own plants:
Reduction of total emission (Scope 1+2)